Monday 7 May 2012

...Art is Expensive.

'The Scream' just sold at auction for just under $120 million. Its the highest ever price paid for a piece of art at auction. The weird thing about this is, I get it. I'd pay that much if I had the money. I often say that if I ever won the lottery I would buy an issue of Detective Comics #27. For those of you who don't know that's Batman's first appearence and roughly sells for a cool million.

I'd spend a million to punch Joel.
There are four versions of 'The Scream' each painted/created in a different manner. The one sold at auction was made in 1895 and was done with pastel by Edvard Munch. The painting has been stolen many times over the last 100 years or so. One of the more interesting thefts happend during the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. The cat burglers used the Olympics as a diversion and even left a note thanking the museum for its lack of security. The thieves were eventually caught, tried, and convicted without the painting being recovered. They were released on a technicallity eventually. The British agents that helped the Norwegian authorities entered the country under false identities, which is illegal, which also voided their participation. The painting was obviously recovered but the Norwegian police have never said how.  

I look at this every christmas.


And that is what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment