Sunday 25 March 2012

...I Hate Printers.

I often make a joke to any guests I talk to about computers or electronics. When the debit machine goes down or the wireless is on the fritz, to lighten the mood I say: 'These are supposed to make life easier'. I get a polite laugh, as I often do with most of my jokes, but it is a joke. Computers have made life easier and changed the way we do many things.......except for printers.......the Devil's device.

He's a real thing...
I never really liked them before but today I learned I hate them. I have to use them for my job (like most of us) to print reports and spreadsheets and letters and other things of that nature. At the front desk we have 5 at our disposal. 2 don't work, one clogs if you try and print more than 3 pages, and one isn't connected to the LAN for the hotel. Having broken equipment around isn't new to any company but this leaves us with one, good working printer. And we use it A LOT, so it stands to reason that with so much wear and tear it'll break soon enough. And its starting to.....

Prick.
I had to take the thing apart twice. And I mean a-part. To the point where I wasn't sure if I'd be able to put it back together. But the Luck Gods were on my side and its back together for now. I heard the new boss at Apple wants to revolutionize printers the same way they did everything else we use. I'm all for it. It's the one piece of hardware I think has gotten worse over the years. With the old Dot Matrix model you had feeder holes on the side (to prevent jamming), cheap ink (the cost is insane today), and in someways they're were smaller and easier to use.

I finally understand it.


And that is what I learned today.

OTHER THINGS I LEARNED:
-Photosynthesis. That's a lie.....I didn't learn about it. I tried to but it was so complex that I couldn't wrap my head around it. How a plant cell operates is staggering.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree printers are the devils device. Followed by a close second our server at work, this thing has a mind of its own and decides really when it would like to work. Ahh technology ;-D

    ReplyDelete