Saturday 10 March 2012

...What a Burrito is Called.

I know that sounds odd. A burrito is called a burrito. Yes, you are right. I guess I meant to say what a burrito's name is translated to. A burrito means 'little donkey'. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. In fact, that seems to be happening to me a lot lately. Obvious things seem to just pass me by. Anyway, any time you add an 'ito' to a spanish word it just means a small, cuter version of it. A Burro is a donkey, so a burrito is a little donkey.

Eating a burrito sounds better than eating a foal.

I haven't been able to find out why its named after a donkey, other than it's shape. It seems (aka we don't really know, this is just a best guess) the Aztecs were the originators of the burrito, well, the inventors of hand held snack food wrapped in a tortilla. When the Spanish payed their friendly visit to them all those years ago, they noticed them being sold in markets and were filled with whatever was on hand at the time. We have 'aztec' words in our vocabulary. Words such as chocolate, avacado/guacamole, and tomato.

An ancient Taco Bell kitchen

One of the things I've always wondered is what is the difference between a burrito/taco/fajita/chimichanga/etc. There is no set definition but generalities instead.
-In Mexico burritos typically contain refried beans, spanish rice, meat, or a combination. That's all. In America, as is the rule, they add more and make it bigger. In the US it could contain cheese, salsa, sour cream, and/or veggies.

-A Taco is served in a soft or hard shell and is minced beef, lettuce, cheese and topped with a sauce of choice. the shell isn't wrapped, its just folded.

-A Fajita is like a taco, but uses strips of beef/chicken.

-A Chimichanga (one of my favourite words to say. I order it just so I can say it) is basically a deep fried burrito.

-An Enchilada is a soft tortilla rolled around a filling and is left open at both ends. Traditionally it is coved in chili.

Now, I've been to lots of places where an enchilada looks like a burrito. Are any of these set in stone....no. The only thing that is consistant with any of these food items is the mad dash you make to the bathroom an hour after eating them.

And that is what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment